SAVING THE PRIMATES OF UGANDA TOGETHER
The “ Save the Primates Together” campaign that started as a short term relief activity, will now become a long term project. The campaign was sparked off by the sudden death of the Silverback Gorilla also known as Rafiki of Nkuringo group
Rafiki was killed by a member of the community who had gone to the forest to hunt for Duiker, he confronted this silverback which tried to defend its family but unfortunately, the hunter killed it.
The Covid-19 global pandemic that has spread to the entire World has paralyzed all the businesses including tourism. It is therefore believed that due to lack of food at home, this man had gone hunting so that he could get food for the family.
We work with various communities and community groups that live around protected areas that are home to primates. These include Porters, women groups, reformed poachers, tourist guides
- Rubuguri Reformed Poachers Association
- Nteko Reformed Poachers association
- Sanuriro Handcraft association
- Bwindi Bird Guides Club
- Bwindi Buhoma United Reformed Poachers Initiative
- Rushaga reformed poachers association
- Kibale Transformed x-poachers association
- Bwindi Handcraft Women Rafiki Association